Marathon Stats

Since I'm going to be training to run a marathon you can go here to check out my training schedule. http://bit.ly/gmxxPQ

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Olympic fever

Alright let's be real here...before last weekend when was the last time you watched, cared for, or even gave a second thought to competitive swimming? Now Since last weekend have you either watched, talked about, or discussed swimming strategy? Why is it that once the Olympics start we instantly become attached to sports that we would normally not care for? We even become temporary experts.

I love the Olympics. I've been drawn in by the Michael Phelps craze just like I'm sure most you, most of the country and most of the planet. Even with the advancements of technology and training facilities, it still took someone 30 some odd years to beat Spitz's record for gold medals in a single Olympic games. But after next weekends closing ceremonies I will forget all about swimming, I'll forget about the men's water polo team, I'll forget all about synchronized diving, and I'll definitely forget all about women's handball (seriously how is that an Olympic sport?). But in 4 years I'll once again be glued to my TV watching the London games.

So what is it about the Olympics that draws us in and takes a hold of us for 2 weeks? I'm not sure what it is, it could be the patriotism in us, it could be the drama of high level sporting events, it could be us watching and waiting for that moment that sends chills down your spine and makes your eyes well up. Or it could be a little bit of all of that all mixed together, at least that's why I watch. As a sports fan I love seeing athletes at the top of their game compete and push themselves to the limit...even if it is just diving. Then every now and again you get a moment like the relay comeback last week where the USA beat the trash talking french team in an event they weren't supposed to win.

So for now let's enjoy the Olympic games and get ready for the Michael Phelps Wheaties box.

No comments: