Marathon Stats

Since I'm going to be training to run a marathon you can go here to check out my training schedule. http://bit.ly/gmxxPQ

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

An easier goodbye

This weekend my parents came up to see me, and it was great. I tried hard to be a good host and take em' to do stuff but it's hard when all you do is go to school and work (don't really know any 'tourist' stuff to do). But more importantly than having things to do it was just important to be around family. I spend all my time with the people at work or the computer, and while I really like my friends at work, it's not home. They are the friends I've grown up with or more importantly they are my brothers, whom I also miss dearly. My parents provide me a piece of home away from home...green chile can only do so much. And really they gave me a chance to see them, I can't believe I've already been out here 4 months and the thing I miss most is the family, from the parents to the sister, and yes even all the way down to the puppies (are they even puppies anymore?). It was instilled in me early that family is more important than anything else in life and I completely understand why, now that I am away from home (if you don't know...you need to find out).

The weekend was great, relaxing and all I could ask for (even all the sweet left overs). But the thing that was odd for me and I think will stick with me the most from this trip was how easy the goodbye was. I've had to say goodbye now 4 times to my parents either leaving home or them leaving here. The goodbye wasn't easy cause we were tired of eachother or we don't care. It seemed the goodbye was so easy cause we have slowly become desensitized to it. Is that a good thing? Does it matter? I kinda liked that the goodbyes were so sad, it made the time seem more important. I'm not saying I would like a tear jerking goodbye 'session' everytime there is a goodbye because it just doesn't work that way. I think we has humans have the ability to let things that we do more often not effect us; a doctor who has a paitent die, a star athlete who lets his team down, a family that says goodbye a lot. I know the goodbyes will continually get easier...it's just a fact of life and our ability to cope. I do think that it is important to realize how important moments in our lives are and not let them slip by the wayside just cause..."ya we've seen that before". So for now I guess I will just have to deal with an easier goodbye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it is just easier to say goodbye this time around because you know it isn't going to be a permanant thing (at least one can hope). You're growing up, in the sense that you CAN live on your own and succeed, perhaps even thrive. One of the hardest lessons of growing up and getting older is that you suddenly realize that you CAN succeed apart from the parents and old ties.

Now comes the time to make new ties so that, eventually, YOUR children can see how important those are...and leave the nest strong enough to make his or her own.

It ain't nothing bad, an easy goodbye...life most things in life, you come to the understanding that it just is the way it is.

Best to you and Phi Alpha!